Yow. And Random.

by Megan Frampton on January 17, 2008

n_s_ra.jpg

Okay, so Kristie has been on a veritable Crusade (minus the slaughter of non-Christians) to get people to watch the BBC production of North & South (not the thing starring Patrick Swayze).

I watched it Monday and Tuesday, and YOW! Kristie was right. It was full of passion, and history, and well-developed characters, and OHYMGOD Richard Armitage almost makes Clive Owen look soft. Almost, I said.

My heart was in my throat for the last episode, and I got all gooey right at the end. You know when. So, yeah, Kristie is right, and this is such a fantastic deep miniseries. It is very much middle-class Victorian Pride & Prejudice, full of both for both hero and heroine. The workingman’s Mr. Darcy, someone commented about John Thornton. Very apt.

And the random meme Kwana and Elizabeth tagged me for:

7 random facts about Megan:
act_charles_oakley.jpg
1. I do not drink coffee when I am hungover. Tea with milk and sugar, please.
2. I know, and am proud of the fact, that I am a great dancer. One of the few things that I am not neurotic about.
3. I own a dress once owned by multi-Pulitzer Prize winner Archibald MacLeish‘s wife.
4. My favorite color is black. Seriously. Not just for the shock value.
5. I am a third-generation Ivy Leaguer. Edited to add: My dad went to Harvard, my mom went to Radcliffe, my grandfather to Yale, my grandmother to Smith, and my uncle went to Brown, Yale, and Harvard, not all at the same time (B.A.. Master’s. Ph.D.).
6. For the life of me, I cannot make pancakes.
7. We almost named my son Oakley, after NY Knicks player Charles Oakley (pictured above).

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Kwana January 17, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Hey, my favrote color is black too. Ha. So dark.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon January 17, 2008 at 5:26 pm

You can’t have Richard Armitage. He’s mine, all mine. I watched North and South months ago, and he’s Sir Guy of Gisbourne in Robin Hood and he married Geraldine in the Vicar of Dibley. He’s yumminess.

Seriously you were going to name your son Oakley? And I think its only third generation if your father, and your grandfather went to an Ivy League school.

Snark over!

Megan January 17, 2008 at 5:28 pm

EKM:

My father and my grandfather DID go to Ivys; my dad went to Harvard, my grandfather to Yale. I just think it’s funny my uncle went to three of them, all by himself.

Amanda McCabe January 17, 2008 at 7:04 pm

Glad to see you have seen “North and South” and become One Of Us, Megan.

And I’m also glad you did NOT name your son Oakley!

Kristie(J) January 17, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Sqqquuueeeeee!!! Can you hear me? I just KNEW you would love it!!
Isn’t it just wonderful. And it’s really so much more than just Richard Armitage – not to say he’s the best thing since rich, dark chocolate was discovered, but the whole thing – from the beginning when she’s looking out the train window to the end when she is looking out the train window.

Dev January 17, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Sorry, Richard’s mine :-) I call dibs.

I’m so glad you liked it Megan!

katiebabs January 18, 2008 at 12:06 am

I call dibs on Richard’s sexy neck *G*

Myretta January 18, 2008 at 4:44 am

I think I must be the only person who doesn’t get it. I couldn’t get through the first quarter of North and South and I don’t find Richard Armitage at all attractive. I wonder if I’ve wandered into an alternate universe.

CindyS January 18, 2008 at 4:55 am

I’m waiting for Kristie to come and watch North and South but I’m getting antsy as I have yet to see it!

You and black. I love it! Especially when you have the slammin’ dress with all that colour!

And now I need to see you ‘do your thang’ on the dance floor. I think I can dance but in reality I’m thinking it might look more like a seizure. At least my hubby doesn’t leave me long on the dance floor – he’s one of those hubbies who will get up with his woman. Which is why I figure I’m fly ;) I also get asked to dance by all the men who are dancing so I think Bob feels the need to show them all who the man is.

Cindys

Ana January 18, 2008 at 6:50 am

Yay! Another crusader!
And opening this page to such a wonderful big photo in the morning makes Friday a bit more bearable.

Stacy ~ January 18, 2008 at 7:38 am

I found my way over here from Kristie’s place, just to share in the gushing. LOVE that man. In case anyone is interested, I do have mind sharing Richard, and am having a contest to win a copy of “North & South” so you can have your own piece of Richard ;)

MadNAd January 19, 2008 at 2:32 pm

I am glad you like North & South Megan, another convert!

I have been an admirer of Mr Armitage for a while now but still remember the first time I watch N & S! Just breathtaking!

If you want to check out his other work, try looking at http://www.thearmitagearmy.co.uk for info. There is a friendly forum attached too should you want to have a squee fest with other like minded ladies!

Wylie January 24, 2008 at 10:32 pm

I can’t believe you can’t make pancakes!!
Here’s my recipe – it’s the easiest in the world and my kids eat them twice a week.

Whisk together in one big bowl (the order doesn’t matter):
1 egg, 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, 2 tbls sugar, 2 tbls oil, 1 tbls baking powder, dash salt.

Seriously easy! No folding, whipping, beating, — nada. Get to work ;)

Megan Frampton January 25, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Thanks for the invites to join the Army, ladies! I might have to join your ranks.

And Wylie, it’s more the cooking of them–they never come out cooked right, either burned, or batter-y in the middle. Although I’m so intimidated by this point I bet the mixing will do me in.